Czech Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist of Fayetteville
Translated from Czsch Manuscript
by Edna Walla Haluska
The Czech Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist of Fayetteville, although not the oldest parish, is considered in our Czech Texas as the cradle of our parishioners, at least as far as the Diocese of Galveston is concerned. You can travel the whole State of Texas and you will find people who came from the old country, and they first came to Fayetteville and later moved elsewhere.
The history of the parish Czech Catholics began about the year 1853 when, not far from our town of Fayetteville, the first countrymen settled at a place called Ross Prairie. Fayetteville was founded in the year 1833. Before that time there stood a log cabin where the town square is now located. The Americans used to shoot wild game from that cabin. At that time there was a great abundance of deer and other wild animals.
In the beginning the town was named Sam Alexander, the first settler, a Jew of German origin. His ancestors still live in La Grange, Texas. In the year 1847 the owner of the land was P. J. Shaver, and it was later incorporated in 1882. The first mayor of the town was Max Meitzen.
The first Czech to come to the Fayetteville territory was Tomas Batla. It is not known what religion he belonged to. Soon after him came Catholics. In 1855 we find Josef, John, and Pavel Vychopen, who came from Vsetin, Moravia; Josef Lastovica from Hovezi, Moravske Valassko; John Odlozelik from Pacetluk Holesov. Then in 1856 came Josef Hlavaty and Frank and Josef Horak. The following years the numbers of our parishioners grew. The tide of the old country grew, and even when some of the immigrants were looking for better places, the influx of countrymen around Ross Prairie grew and in the years 1865-1875 there came Konstantin Chovanec from Trojanovice near Frenstat. Josef Mikula and Josef Kocurek from Hovezi of Vsetin. Frank Piscacek from Holesova; Frank Destensky from Vizovic; Vilem Wiesner of Frenstat1 three Polansky brothers, of whom A. J. Polansky at the age of 90 is still amazingly healthy and active. Two familes of Bacas and Zdirba, Abramcik, Porubsky, Martin Kovar, Tomas Jasek, Martin Hlavaty, August Novosad, Ig. Sladek, Josef Janak, Jan and Josef Orsak, and J. Kubala.
The first Catholic Church was built in 1859 at Ross Prairie, three miles from Fayetteville. Later it was moved to Live Oak Rill (today Hostyn, near Ellinger) .The land on which this first church stood was owned by J. Shoppa. From the beginning different German and Polish priests came to this church from the already existing parish of Frelsburg, twelve miles distant from Fayetteville, where in 1847 a priest named Jacobs was established. Later the parish of Frelsburg was unc1er the leadership of a well known French priest named Victor Gury. He also served at Ross Prairie and at Hostyn. It is certain that our countrymen around Fayetteville used this opportunity to attend church services.
In 1869 some of the parishioners traveled all the way to Bluff, now Hostyn, where in 1869 about 50 Czech families built a small wooden church where Father Felix Rogonzinski held church services periodically. This priest also served the Fayetteville parish. Since at that time there were very few priests, church services were held very seldom. As it was known, many of our devoted parishioners drove all the way to Praha, at that time known as Mulberry. For many it was hard to know that they could not attend services every Sunday or on Holidays to refresh their body and soul and receive new strength and courage for further strife and struggle for a slice of bread. At that time there were many hardships. Most of the land was wooded and grown over with brush. It was very hard to work the land with primitive implements. There were no roads and our first settlers drove to church in wagons pulled by oxen.
In 1870 Bishop Claudius Dubois from Galveston visited Fayetteville. He saw many of our devoted people without church or priest. He promised them a priest if they would see to it that they would build a church. The parishioners didn't lose any time and soon had a foundation laid, but that's as far as they got. They needed a leader. Actually, there were many leaders but they all pulled in opposite directions. Also there was no material and, mainly, no money. Suddenly news came that a Polish priest by the name of Father Felix Dombrowski was in Galveston and on his way to Fayetteville. With the leadership of Konstantin Chovanec, the parishioners got busy and built a nice looking 36 X 68 church which was 18 feet high. It was a building with bare walls and a roof overhead, no ceiling, no benches, and an altar consisting of white sheets. Even at that time the parishioners were extremely happy. On the anniversary date of the birth of St. John the Baptist the church was consecrated and church services celebrated. The first priest was Father Felix Dombrowski.
The first Baptismal Book carries the name "Liber baptismorium ab Anno Domini 1871" November 5. Felix Dombrowski. The first name of baptism was Julie Chovanec, daughter of Konstantin Chovanec. She was baptized November 13, 1871. The first boy baptized was the son of Josef and Petronela Chovanec. Josef was born August 6 and baptized on August 15, 1872. From that time there were regular services, but not for long since Father Dombrowski did not stay in the parish. His last records list a funeral for a 3- day old child of parents Porubsky, January 4, 1872; then a marriage of Augustin Haidusek and Anna Becka on January 22, 1872, and lastly a baptism on November 21, 1872.
The parish of Fayetteville grew and grew, and more countrymen arrived. They remembered that when they left Lichnov to Texas in the Fall of the year 1870, their former chaplain, Father Chromcik, would follow. Since his former parishioners around Fayetteville kept asking him to fulfill his promises to come, and Bishop Claudius Dubois of Galveston Diocese also asked him to come, Father Chromcik embarked on his journey to Texas on All Soul's Day in 1872, and on Christmas Eve in 1872 he came to Fayetteville and immediately became the spiritual leader of the parish. The joy and pleasure of the Fayetteville parishioners on the arrival of Father Chromcik cannot be described. Even though they had church services more often, up to now, there were no Czech services held anywhere in the new country. Father Chromcik celebrated this first Mass on Christmas Day. He dedicated his life to the glory of God and the salvation of his parishioners until his death on March 7, 1910.
After his death the parishioners of Fayetteville were led by Father Koerner until January, 1911. He left for the North but returned after a short time and settled in La Grange. During that time Fayetteville had no priest.
Father John Vanicek, pastor of a Czech parish in Vesleyville, North Dakota, longed to come to a warmer climate because of his health and because of doctor's orders. He was offered and agreed to become the spiritual leader at Fayetteville. On March 21, 1911, he was warmly welcomed with music by the Fayetteville parishioners preceding his entry into the church which was splendidly illuminated. From then on, Fayetteville was under the leadership of Father Vanicek. His first undertaking was to build a new church with the help of parishioners and the presence of a broad committee under the leadership of Ernest Knesek, treasurer. On the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul in 1911 the last Mass in the old church was celebrated, and then the old church was razed and preparations for building a new church began. The construction of the new church was undertaken by the parishioners, and by the Fall of the year on Thanksgiving Day, Mass was celebrated in the new church, with Father V. Demel of Wallis present.
During the construction of the new church, Mass was held in the old school from which the Holy Sacrament was taken into the new church with a celebration. The new church cost $8,000 and was paid by the parishioners without delay. The S.P.J.S.T. Lodge #1 gave the church a beautiful $450 organ, and many other new things were provided. The inscription on the foundation stone carries the names of the parish committee as follows: Fundamentum Ecclesiae Sancti Joannis Bablae Positum Die 10 July 1911. Rt. Rev. N. A. Gallagher, D.D., Rev. John Vanicek, J. Sindelar, Fr Kubala, J. Kramr, E. J. Knesek, J. Novosad, F. Matus, I. Rek, Fr Klimek, J. Stelzig, B. Wilde. The stone from the first church built in 1870 carries the names of K. Chovanec, J. Hlavaty, J. Janak, J. wychopen, J. Sladek, J. Odlozelik. In the year 1912 the Most Reverend Bishop blessed the church and at the same time confirmed a large number of children and adults.
The main effort of Father Vanicek was to get the parishioners to become members of Catholic lodges if possible. In that project the willingness of a parishioner, Mrs. Zdaril (sister of the late Father Chromcik) who leased her land for a building for the duration of 90 years, with the intention. that if there were no building, the land would be returned to the owner. Mrs. Zdaril is living at this time with her daughter (Mr. and Mrs. Rud. Kubena) to the joy of all relatives and friends. The lodge hall became a reality in the Fall of 1912 and very useful to the parishioners because the lodge had its own place for further growth. In 1913 Father Vanicek went to Europe and returned in 3 months to the great joy of the parishioners. During his absence, Father P. E. Nemec of Sealy substituted.
During the World War, times in Fayetteville and everywhere else were hard. In 1915 a new school was built with some of the material taken from the old church in Warrenton which was built in 1887 by Father Chromcik. The Bishop allowed the use of the material from that church and also with the agreement from the parishioners who belonged to this church and helped to build it, it was moved to Fayetteville and was outfitted to be used as a school. A public school now stands on the land where St. Martin's church stood in Warrenton. The altar and a large valuable picture of St. Martin were preserved in a newly built chapel on the grounds of the cemetery there. The foundation of the new school in Fayetteville was consecrated on the Holy Day of August 15, 1915. Three days later, on August 18, a destructive storm came and did much damage to buildings in the vicinity, but there was no damage to the school building and classes opened for teaching in September of that year.
The first sisters called for duty in this school were Sister M. Genevieve and Sister M. Monica from Divine Providence in San Antonio, and later Sister M. Cyrilla came also. Sixty students registered the first day, and the next year the number rose to 100 with four sisters teaching at a later time.
At that same time a Catholic school opened at Hostyn near Ellinger, and after a few years Father Vanicek had a total of 265 pupils and 6 sisters in both parishes.
The parish was noted for its beautiful celebrations, especially at the time of Corpus Christi and when there were christenings of banners. One such celebration was the Silver Jubilee of Father Vanicek and on the Feast of St. Anne in 1922. Another noted feast was when the General Convention of the .K.J.Z.T. was held and attended by The Most Rev. Bishop and numerous priests. It was the Silver Jubilee of the K.J.Z.T., and Father Vanicek was elected as spiritual director of the society at this meeting, the office he holds to this day.
At a cost of $3,000.00, the rectory built by Father Chromcik was remodeled in 1924. Between the years 1920-1925, many new and beautiful things were provided, such as the repairs and improvements to the altar at a cost of $250, several beautiful statues, silver ciborium, silver monstrance, silver chalice, altar bells, and many other things which were donated by the societies and individuals. Also at that time the cemetery was improved and a new iron fence erected.
Due to his health, Father Vanicek went to the old country in 1926 for a six-month rest. Upon his return the parishioners gave him a new automobile. On April 27, 1927, Father Vanicek was transferred to the parish of St. Cyrill and Methodius in Granger, Texas. Father J. Klobouk, the priest of St. Mary's at Hostyn near Ellinger, took his place. The parishioners missed Father Vanicek and it took them a long time to get used to the new Father Klobouk, but they grew to love him as well. In 1927, Father J. Klobouk celebrated his Silver Jubilee and the parishioners prepared a beautiful celebration for the occasion. About 25 priests and great crowds of people attended.
In 1928 a pipe organ was installed for $3,000, with expense of $250 for installation. That same year the home of Mr. Arnold Sladek was bought and refurbished for the sisters, who at that time were residing uncomfortably on the second floor of the school. Some of the older buildings were removed from the church property and a lovely chapel was built to be used as an altar for Corpus Christi celebrations. That year a walk to the church was made with new cement steps. The church was leveled with about 300 yards of gravel put around the building because the area was very muddy during rainy seasons. Fruit trees were planted and also many flowers were added.
In 1931 the rectory was moved to a more convenient location. The statues in the church were repainted, new linoleum was placed around the altar and down the aisle, and all was improved.
In 1932 on the 60-year anniversary of Father Josef Chromcik's arrival in Texas, a monument was built as a remembrance of the priest who worked so diligently for our people, under the assistance of The National Union of Czech Catholics of Texas and Father J. Klobouk, with the help of the parishioners of Fayetteville. A committee was elected for the building of this monument and consisted of Father Pelnar, Father Jos. C. Kunc, Father P. P. Kaspar and Mr. C. H. Cmajdalka. A bronze monument made in Italy, standing on a base of granite 5 feet high, was donated by the firm of Rabel of Waco, Texas, and on October 19, 1933, the monument was unveiled in the presence of Bishop C. E. Byrne of Galveston, with about 40 priests and several thousand of our people and others. On the front the inscription reads: "1972-1932 -dedicated to the first Czech priest missionary in Texas, Father J. Chromcik, --dean of Fayetteville, dedicated to his 60th anniversary of his coming to Texas, from the grateful Czech Moravian people."
In 1933 when the whole of the Catholic world remembered 1900 years ago the death of our Lord, there was erected a small chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary which serves as an altar for Corpus Christi services. During that time, a Father Sampson was doing duties as an assistant.
In May, 1936, Father Klobouk became pastor of St. Mary's at Frydek, and Father A. W. Nesvadba took over duties at Fayetteville on June 4, 1936. During the leadership of Father Nesvadba and the good people of Fayetteville, and with the help of parishioners, much was accomplished. Great progress in the parish was evident. Every undertaking was successful in spite of financial difficulties.
With the coming of Father Nesvadba, the interior of the rectory was redone. Mrs. C. J. Klimicek and Mrs. 0. Knippel made a financial drive so that material such as wallpaper and paint could be purchased, and new curtains were purchased by Mrs. Joe Zapalac. Immediately the following donors came forth: Mrs. E. J. Knesek and son; Mrs. C. L. Drawe and sons; Mrs. Marie Krenek; Mrs. Rud Svrcek; Mrs. Henry Svrcek, and wallpaper was donated for 2 bedrooms and new window screens were also provided. The parish commitee was composed of the following: Jos. Jurecka, William Piwetz, Robt. Minarcik, Martin Vitek, Jos. F. Vasicek, Frank J. Holub, and Emil Chalupa.
Since the old school needed great improvements, the committee elected to build a new school because the repairs for the old building would amount to $500. The committee consisted of Al. Fetter, Emil Chalupa, Vinc Urbanovsky, and Rud. A. Novosad. Plans for the new school were selected directly at the State Dept. in Austin, Texas. The following were added to the building committee: Mrs. John Cufr, President; Mrs. John Krarnr, Secretary; and Mr. Al Kovar and V. Piwetz.
The parish was divided into 12 Districts. Members collecting contributions were: Jos. F. Zapalac, John Cufr, Mrs. C. J. Klimicek, Fred Kasmiersky, A. Petter, Al Kovar, Emil Chalupa, Justin Kubala, Anton Kulhanek, Frank Sulik, V. Petter, Anton Vitek, Frank J. Holub, and Tom Gully. They collected over $2,000. The building cost $3,500. A great amount of the material was used from the old building, so over $300 remained in the treasury. On September 17, 1933, the old building was torn down, and the new one was completed on November 1, 1933.
The blessing of the new school and the joint golden jubilee celebration of the school was set for Sunday, November 8, 1936. Performing the honors was Msgr. J. Schnetzer, School Superintendent of the Diocese, with the help of Fathers Jos. A. Valenta and Inn. Raska. Other priests joined the occasion in the afternoon. That afternoon the Mayor of Fayetteville, Mr. Langlotz introduced the speakers, among them Congressman J. J. Mansfield and State Senator L. J. Sulak who stated, "People from old Fayetteville can be found allover Texas and elsewhere, and proudly admit that Fayetteville is their cradle." Also among the speakers were Mr. Herzik and State Secretary B. P. Matocha, and R. B. Spacek representing the public school board. Father J. Vanicek ended his speech by saying, "You have a young and good priest; respect him and you shall do wonders with him."
The editor of Novy Domov, V. Malec, stated, "The seeds planted by Fathers J. Chromcik, J. Vanicek, Jos. Klobouk and others, are continuing to blossom splendidly as one can observe from today's celebration."
Mr. John Cufr was named member of the school board valuable work done during the building of the new school.
After the school was built, other buildings were repainted. The painter of the church was C. Drawe; painter of the rectory was V. Piwetz; painter of the sisters' home was Arnold Cmajdalka. Parishioners who donated to this project were: A. J. Sladek, $40.00. Emil Liska donated toward the painting of the large statue of St. John the Baptist and the statue of the Sacred Heart. Rud. and Raymond Novosad did the necessary carpenter work on the rectory.
In the beginning of 1937, the following parishioners were elected to the committee: A. Petter, Treasurer; F. J. Holub, Secretary; William Piwetz, Caretaker of Cemetery; John Cufr, Emil Chalupa, Martin Vitek, and Tom Gully. The parish records show that these members also served on the parish committee: John Kramr, F. J. Pechacek, Peter Kulhanek, Joe Kulhanek, Frank Sulik, Frank and Fred Kubala. Among others, a dedicated worker was Jos. Novosad, who has gone to his reward.
Also deserving to be mentioned are Mr. and Mrs. Vinc Zapalac who celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary in 1939. J. Minarcik, Ig. Rek, Jos. Sykora, Al J. Polansky, Frank Vitek, P. Marek, and others. All of these are still alive and active in the parish. Grandfather Polansky still alive and active at age of 90.
It should also be mentioned that all of the chasubles were repaired, some of them very valuable. Also the monstrances, chalices and candle holders were newly finished in gold.
During the month of September 1938, the altars were painted and those who generously donated were Mr. and. Mrs. Peter Kulhanek, $100.00; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Vitek, $50.00. At the same time the entire interior of the church was painted. The painter was Frank Cerniglia of La Grange. Parishioners donated $500.00 toward that project. Today the .inside of the church is the pride of all parishioners. And that wasn't enough, r the parishioners wished that the church be equipped with a heating system, and $500.00 was collected for that project and today the church is conveniently heated. It was used for the first time at the forty-hour devotion just before the Christmas holidays.
In the beginning of 1939, money from the school programs was used to build concrete sidewalks from the church to the rectory and to the sisters' home, over 200 feet. Parishioners helped freely under the supervision of Emil Chalupa and John K. Orsak, an experienced mason. The complete project cost only $50.00. From the church throughout the property and along the street, evergreen trees look very pretty. Twenty-five ligustrurn trees were planted by Mr. John Cufr.
Fayetteville is also noted for its beautiful Czech singing and old-time habits used during celebrations which are still used to this day. Thanks to the organist, Mr. K. H. Cmajdalka. The first organist was William Wiesner who received his musical education in the old country. His daughter Henrietta was also an excellent soprano. After Mr. Weisner came Mr. Karel Cmajdalka, Sr. It must be mentioned that he was a good musician and organist, both in body and soul, and he also played several instruments. He died on July 4, 1918. His son, Karel, Jr. inherited the love of music from his father, especially church music. For many years he has been the organist and the director of the choir. Today Fayetteville has one of the best choirs one could wish for. All the priests of the parish loved songs and music and were very supportive of it. It should be mentioned that brothers Fred and Frank Kubala, oldest members of the choir, have been singing continually for 50 years and that is surely a one-of-a-kind occasion in our parish.
Parishioners should be further praised for the new pipe organ. No member or parishioner of Fayetteville failed to donate toward the purchase and installation of the new pipe organ. Although the total cost was over $3,000, some money was still left over. Donations were from $1.00 to $100.00. The firm of M. P. Moller of Hagerstown, Maryland, installed the organ and it carries the number 5980. It is an electropneumatic system and has 2 manuals, a pedal, 21 registers or rolls, 9 couplings and 8 combination pistons. The first time it was played was at Midnight Mass on December 25, 1928, to the joy of all parishioners, donators, organist (Mr. Cmajdalka) and Father Klobouk. The organ was installed under the leadership of Mr. Cmajdalka as well as the parish committee: Anton Vitek, John Havran, Fred Kasmiersky, Fred Gully, 0. F. Knippel, Emil Chalupa, Frank Pechacek, Jos. P. Novosad, Jan F. Mikus, Vilem J. Orsak, and Al Kovar.
The choir consisted of the following: Fred Kubala, Frank A. Kubala, Frank J. Kubala, Edward Polasek, Rud. A. Novosad, John Novosad, Paul Novosad, Frank J. Stastny, Aloisie Zubek, Herman Gresser, Alfred Cordes and Misses Maggie Knippel, Rosie Kubena, Leona Fojtik, Delphine Fojtik, Ella Orsak, Marie Zapalac, Lidvina Zapalac, Elenora Zapalac, Frant. Kovar, Mary Jurecka, Mrs. Frank Kovar, and Mrs. Sophie Mynar.
The largest society is St. Anne's K.J.Z.T. composed of 200 members. President, Mrs. Frank Kovar; Vice President, Miss Emily Jurecka; Treasurer, Mrs. Ludmila Piwetz; Secretary, Claudia Kubena; and Representative, Karolina vitek. They are very active in works of charity and in helping out with other parish needs. They also own a kitchen and dining room next the the K.J.T. building.
'The K.J.T. society now has about 175 adult and younger members, all working together with the leadership of President Al Petter; Secretary, F. J. Holub; Treasurer, Willie Petter; and Representative Ig. Mynar. Their spacious hall is the center of all activities at parish feasts, programs, etc. In 1940 the society will celebrate its golden jubilee.
Besides religious societies such as Apostles of Prayer, with 75 members, a Living Rosary of more than 100 members, there is also the Altar Society which fills the many needs of the church, especially the altar. The members bought new linoleum for the sanctuary. They are always contributing to the needs of vestments and smaller things.
The Society of Catholic Women of 50 members is very active and benefits the parish school. They helped to furnish the sisters' home with curtains, kitchen utensils, carpets, etc. They donated $40 toward the purchase of curtains and other things for the rectory, and bought an electric fan for the sisters. They also buy Easter and Christmas gifts for children.
Father Nesvadba organized a Drama Club of which he is greatly proud. His goal is to keep the young people interested in their religious convictions. The club has put on several beautiful Czech plays such as "Fate of the Forgotten Girl", "Womanless Wedding", "Czech Wedding", and "Fred the Boss". The first president was Frank Kubala, and second president was E. S. Kovar. Vlasta Chalupa is now president.
The parish also has a society of Czech laborers with only a few members consisting of John Kramr and Jerom Becka. Presently they supplied robes for all the altar boys.
LIFE OF FATHER A. W. NESVADBA
Father Alois Willie Nesvadba is the oldest son of vinc and Barbara Nesvadba, presently of Rosenberg, Texas. He was born on September 5, 1896, in Velke Lhote near Malenovic (near Zlina) Moravia. He came to Texas with his parents on May 1, 1898. They settled at Frydek and moved to Needville 10 years later. He was one of the first pupils in the new Catholic school at Frydek where teaching began in 1910. His teachers were: Father Frank Machan, V. J. Skocek and V. Demel, all deceased, and sisters Apolena and Adelaide from the Sisters of Divine Providence.
He studied and was ordained at St. Mary's Seminary in La Porte, Texas. His first assignment was at West; Texas, where he was helping Msgr. J. Pelnar. Then he was assigned to Frydek, where he was from, and eagerly performed his priestly duties from September 25, 1927, until June 4, 1936, when he was transferred to Fayetteville.
His diligent work at Frydek improved the parish financially as well as spiritually; societies strengthened and religious spirit successfully improved. The interior of the church was beautifully painted. Shade trees were planted on the church property. A fence was erected at the cemetery. The school had 3 grades and 3 sisters. In the fall of 1928 a new and modern residence was built for the sisters. During his tenure the silver jubilee of the parish was celebrated. At his invitation, the K.J.T. had their convention there in 1935, one of the best conventions. In 1929 Father Nesvadba visited the old country; he took a 3-month vacation and visited Czechoslovakia, Italy, and France, with stops in memorable places such as Florence, Padua, Assissi, Loretto, and Rome where he had an audience with Pope Pius XI. He spent 3 days in Lourdes, Lisieux, and Paris.
Father Nesvadba's good works during his stay in Fayetteville are mentioned in the history of this parish. It should be mentioned that Father Nesvadba was ordained to the priesthood on Holy Trinity, June 11, 1922, and on the holiday of his patron saint, Alois. On June 21, 1922, he had his first Mass in Needvil1e, and the Fayetteville parish celebrated his 15 years of priesthood on June 11, 1937, to show how much they loved and admired this young and ardent servant of the Lord.
HISTORY OF BACA'S BAND
Baca's Band and Orchestra was organized in Fayetteville in 1892 by Mr. Frank Baca, who died in 1907. After his death, his oldest son Josef O. Baca became leader. He died in 1920. After Josef's death, his brother John R. Baca became leader and is in that capacity to this day.
Baca's band is famous and well-known all over Texas. They made Czech records for such companies as Okeh Phonograph Corp, Columbia Phonograph Co., Inc. and Brunswick Record Corp. In 1937 they celebrated their 45th anniversary.
Members of the band under photograph: Standing L to R: Edgar Frenzel, bass; Rud. Baca, baritone; Frank Gerik, trombone; John R. Baca, (leader) clarinet; Ludwig Baca, cornet; otto Witt, cornet; Edward Baca, cornet; Lawrence Kulhanek, cornet. Seated L to R: Anton Kulhanek, alto; Frank Jurica, alto; Lad Baca, snare drum; Clarence Baca, bass drum; F. J. Fojtik, clarinet; John Coufal, clarinet. Not picutured: Anton Kulhanek, small bass; L. E. Baca, snare drum.
The new school qvmnasiurn built on the parish property measured 78 feet long and 38 feet wide...Walls and ceiling of multi-colored hues. It was furnished on the inside very nicely with indirect lighting which revealed beautiful scenery, especially at night. Gas heating was installed for comfort. The roof was done with rose colored tile which gave the building a pretty appearance. This building is put up on a strong foundation and used for practical purposes, such as moving pictures, meetings, small programs, and especially for school children to hold their different tests, etc. They gym is equipped with modern cooling and heating systems so that visitors will be comfortable at any time.
Translated from Czsch Manuscript
by Edna Walla Haluska